Friday, July 22, 2011

Run like hell...literally.

Maybe I'm a wimp, maybe its age, or maybe it's just that damn hot, but I haven't been able to bring myself to run outside this week. In fact, the last "training" related activity that's been outdoor was a 15 mile bike ride last Saturday and I was sweating like a whore in church!

We did however have a fun family day at the lake last Sunday morning. The lake is spring fed so the water is almost always cool, which was much needed as the temp was in the high 90's, but felt like it was 100+! We ate lunch and jumped back in the water for another 30 minutes and then headed home to nap and get out of the oppressive heat.

So I've been trying to get into a "training" rhythm as my next couple of races quickly approaches. I've been consistently inconsistent lately with regards to swimming, biking, and running and it's got me feeling a little lost. I got into such a groove "training' for Grandma's Marathon that I knew weeks in advance what my training was going to be and when I was going to do it, but triathlons are different and require more planning. You'd think by now that I'd have this tri training down, but with two spirited children and a wife who's also "training" for the Ragnar Relay it get tough to fit it all in. I plan on sitting down and hammering out a tentative training schedule from now until my half iron on 9/11/11. I've said before that the rest of this years races are just for fun, but they still require a certain amount of training so you don't kill yourself. So it's a fine line between adequately training so you can still have fun and not training adequately and having a long painful day.
Anyway, I plan on getting some time on the bike trainer a few mornings during the week and mixed with a few bricks as the half iron gets closer. Then I'll do either a tempo run, speedwork, or weights/core workout during my lunch hour. Swimming gets a little trickier. I can swim at the local school on Satuday mornings from 8am-9am, but the rest of the week is hit and miss. I'll try and sneak to the same said school for lap swimming either Monday or Wednesday night from 8pm-9pm, but with kids that can be hard. I could also go to a local lake (we have 10,000 of them after all), but without a "swim buddy" that's not the smartest thing in the world.

Anyway, I'll get it all figured out eventually and if not, I'll have fun trying.

Later

3 comments:

  1. Yup I hear ya! It's hard sometimes to get it all in balance, somedays are better than others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost all of my workouts have included either the sun rising or sometimes setting. Only way to beat the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gotten up before 5am a few times this week and it may be a habit I could get into. That should balance all the time needed to get the appropriate workouts in, so we'll see. Glad I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete