Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Manly man stuff and Girl Scouts

So this weekend was somewhat productive, in a sense that we got a few necessary things done. Our 4 year old had been sick and with work and a 9 month old, our time was limited. So on Friday I stayed home the first half the day with our 4 year old (She needed to be fever free for 24 hours before she could go back to daycare) and she was feeling good so I got some things done; got tabs for my car (they were due in January, Oops), picked up softner salt, got some engine oil (5W30), oil filter, and some groceries. Prior to that, I vacummed, washed the entry way floor, and swept the kitchen (very manly!). It wasn't too exciting for my daughter, but I think she was just happy to get out of the house (as was I).
Obviously from my shopping list I was intending to change the oil in my wifes truck. So on Saturday morning, I did just that (that's manly! right?). Then on Sunday morning I went to Home Depot and bought a new kitchen faucet. The old one had been dripping for weeks and it was time to "man up" and get my plumb on! Besides, I checked with a plumber I found on Craigslist and he wanted $200 to change the faucet and that didn't include the cost of the faucet! I did a little research online and found that Keith Hernandez does plumbing and has a step by step tutorial online on how to change a faucet. I'm glad he's found something to do outside of baseball and those stupid hair coloring adds. I have to say, he's quite manly.






So if changing the oil in my wifes car and changing the kitchen faucet wasn't manly enough, I went for a run. It was the first time in weeks I was able to run outside and the first time since August 28, 2010 that I ran over 5 miles (5.67 to be exact). I was able to maintain a 8:30/mile pace pretty good and enjoyed the balmy 46 degrees in shorts and 2 top layers.
The 18 week training plan for Grandma's Marathon started 2/14 and since I ran on Sunday, I didn't run yesterday. Instead, I did some light weights and core. Today I did an easy 3 miles at lunch.

One last thing, It's that time of year those evil wonderful Girl Scouts shamelessly soliciate those delicious cookies. I will try hard not to eat any, but damn it's hard knowing that they only come around once a year. Those thin mints and tag-a-longs just make me weak in the knees. It's crazy, they get you at work, the gorcery store parking lot, facebook. The pressure is immense. Can I really go a whole year without! I swear the marketing department of the Girl Scouts must be run by the mob or old Teamsters or both. I've felt less pressure in a job interview. I suspect I'll buy some, but It'd sure be easier if they looked like this;


To be fair, I googled girl scout picture because I really wanted to put a picture of nice little girl in her uniform and a caption that said something like "how could you say no" and this is what came up. I knew at that precise moment that the Girl Scouts are run by the mob and the caption still applies.

You've been warned!



No comments:

Post a Comment