Monday, November 29, 2010

Half Iron!? Almost.

12th Annual
SQUARE LAKE TRIATHLON
Two Fun Days
Two Great Events








Short Course Saturday September 10, 2011
8:00 a.m. Start
0.5 Mile Swim 16.5 Mile Bike 5 Mile Run
Long Course Sunday September 11, 2011
7:30 a.m. Start
1.2 Mile Swim 54 Mile Bike 13.2 Mile Run

I pulled the trigger on registering for my first Half Iron race. It's not actually 70.3 (68.4 to be exact), but I'm not going to split hairs over it. The fact that there is 67 steps from the lake up to T1  should count for something and the course is rolling hills as well.  So the 1.9 mile shortage is not going to bother me one bit.  286 days from today is going to be my "A" race.  However, I've learned not to put too much pressure on myself or set my expectations too high. I plan on doing a few other races and maybe another half marathon before this, but the registration was half priced if I signed up no later than today. The cost was $42.50 and the price sealed the deal. It was nearly 3X less than the LifeTime Fitness Triathlon that I've done the last 2 years. I won't be doing it this year. Although I have really fond memories of the LTF tri's (my first sprint and first Oly), the price is simply too much for this married father of 2. The hoopla and fanfare are cool for first timers and who could put a price on being able to see the number of world class pro's just a few feet away. Last year I oggled Craig Alexander while he set up in transition. I think this year I will be a spectator or volunteer at the LTF tri.  I will keep my eye on a few other races over the next few weeks to see if they offer any good discounts on entry fee's.  I'm already excited for next summer's races, whatever they end up being. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on signing up for your first HIM. Good luck.

    Kevin
    http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete