Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I'm Cheap

It's true. In fact, I once tried to go an entire year without making one single non-essential purchase for myself. I made it to about mid-November (I started on Jan. 1) before I broke down and bought myself something non-essential, although I could argue that running tights are essential in Minnesota. Currently, I have well over 600 miles (I quit adding the mileage in July 2010 at 584 miles) on my current running shoes and wear the same socks I was given for Fathers Day in June 2009. I think deep down I'm hoping that my shoes and socks take on a life of there own and just actually run for me.
I noted in a previous post that I have a Groupon my wife bought me for $50 off my next purchase (she paid $25) at a local running store, but have failed to actually go buy some new wheels. That may be a laziness issue and not a cheap one. I'm not sure why I thought of it now, I did however read a blog recently that stated she purchased clothing at the Salvation Army. I thought to myself, "I've done that". In fact, it's been years since I've bought a new article of clothing and the new clothes that were purchased we socks, running shoes (already noted), and under garments. Outside of that, I make nearly all my clothing purchases at thrift stores, second hand stores, even garage sales. Before you go and think this is the noble act of an environmentalist that's all about the "green movement" and living the mantra "reuse and recycle", its not. Well at least not 100%. Let's be clear, I recycle plastic containers, pop cans, tin cans, even motor oil (I change my own most of the time), but I don't have solar panels on my roof and I don't drive a Prius (or a Subaru for that matter).  I also don't discriminate in my ability to seek out a good deal. By that I mean I frequent not-for-profit (Goodwill and Salvation Army) and for-profit (Savers, Unique, Craigslist, Ebay) second hand stores and online sites. I do however only donate to the non-profit store. I don't know where that puts me in the world of thrift, but the only label I can think of is "Cheap". I guess I'm ok with that. Here's a few examples of the stuff I've bought and the brands (I only list the brand to show that there is some really nice stuff out there);

Second Hand Clothing
2 pair of Levis
2 pair of Old Navy Cargo pants
1 pair of Gap Cargo pants
1 Eddie Bauer sweater
1 Gap v-neck sweater
1 Izod crew neck sweater
1 pair of Timberland shoes
2 Polo collared long sleeve button up dress shirts
2 American Eagle shirts

* All of this stuff probably cost me less than $100
Triathlon stuff

1 Orca tri suit, $38 - Ebay
1 Ironman Wetsuit, $75  - Ebay
1 Bike Rack $40 - Craigslist

* most of the t-shirts that I wear are from different races I've done over the last few years. That includes a lot of the tech shirts that I wear for workouts.


In any case, that may or may not say a lot about me, but that's how I roll...for now.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you are a cheapskate, although i'd like to think of it as financially smart especially when it comes to items that are clearly over priced. I wish you could see the clothes I bought at the local thrift store. Stuff I wear to work ...banana republic, ann taylor, aeropostale (yes, I'm 40 but still stylin'), A & F, gap, old navy. All name brand stuff and if you go on Saturdays, it's half off an already ridiculous low price. No such luck with the tri stuff but I do find the deals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that I'm not alone! I justify some of my tri purchases by the money I save at thrift stores. I noticed some of the killer deals you got on the Ironman stuff, well done!

    ReplyDelete