Friday, December 10, 2010

Square Lake Showdown

So I found out recently that a person a know (albeit not very well) is going to be taking on the Square Lake Long course on 9-11-11. So I thought I would put together a list of reasons I may or may not beat this person (Mike).  For no other reason than to antagonize him.


5 REASONS I WILL BEAT MIKE AT SQUARE LAKE

1. I think I'm a better runner. I'm not trying to brag, but although I don't know him very well, he would likely concede this point. And the longer the race, the better my chances are.
I'd look like this with hair.
2. Less hair. You see, I'm follicly challenged (see pic below) and Mike has a thick head of hair. My lack of hair make me more aerodynamic and thus makes me faster (at least in my mind).

3. The course. Now bear in mind that Minnesota is not the hilliest spot on the earth, but compared to where Mike will be living, I'd say advantage me. This picture is probably similar to the training terrain Mike will have while preparing for Square Lake.

Dakota training views
4. Sleep. By that I mean that I'll get to sleep in the comfort of my own bed the night before the race.

Me dreaming of what it will be like to beat Mike.
5. Fatherhood. I've spent the last 4+ years being sleep deprived and have adjusted accordingly. As you can see in the photo above, I take advantage of any moment to sleep.


5 REASONS I WILL NOT BEAT MIKE AT SQUARE LAKE

1. He's taller, so if the event it came down to a close finish, he would be able to lean or outstretch me. Lets hope it doesn't come to that.




2. Faster bike. As you can see, Mike has a distinct advantage in this department and a sweet full body tri-suit.

3. Mike's a far better swimmer than I am. He swims with dolphins or Michael Phelps or something like that.  So hopefully he won't build to big a lead coming out of the water.


4. Mike is a Tri-Club member (Ooooh...la ti da!). He goes on 60 mile bike rides with his buddies and I bet they all have matching bike jersey's. My sarcasm is a defense mechanism for my own insecurities, sorry.

5. Finally. The last reason Mike would beat me at the Square Lake Long Course on 9-11-11,  he builds such a long lead from out swimming and out biking me that I can not recover. Or I've wasted so much time blogging about all this that I forget to train.

* I may consider letting the air out of tires or stealing his shoe laces, but until then I'll have to train that much harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment