Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Training plan?

So I've been trying to get back into a regular running routine, but also wanting to maintain some of the weight training that I've been doing. Monday I hopped on the treadmill at work during my lunch hour and did a little interval training. However, before I got on the treadmill, I did 5 minutes of jump rope. It's a good way to warmup. I started at a moderate pace on the treadmill (8:30/mile) for the first 10 minutes and then ramped up the incline to 10 for 1 minute. I then leveled it off for 5 minutes and then up to 10 again at the 16 minute mark. I did one more 1 minute incline at the 23 minute mark and then cooled down for a few minutes. So in short I did 3 X 1 minute hill repeats separated by 5 minutes.
Today's workout went like this; 5 minutes of jump rope, Bench press (135lbs) 3 sets of 8 reps, Front and Lateral raises (5lb weight each arm) 3 sets of 10 reps, Squats (5lb weight each arm) 3 sets of 10 reps, Shrugs (45lb weight each arm) 3 sets of 10 reps, Curls (45lbs) 3 sets of 10 reps. I ended with 5 more minutes of jump rope. I tried to keep a 30 second rest between each set and no more that a minute between exercises. This lets me get in a lot of exercises in a short amount of time.
Tomorrow I think I'll do the same interval/hill repeat run on the treadmill. I hope to get in a few longish runs over the Christmas holiday, but we'll be in East Dakota and it'll look like the pic below, but with a lot more snow.

I'll need to get on the bike trainer too as I have an indoor tri coming up on 2/6/11. I will come up with a short little training plan for the indoor tri as its only 6 weeks from this Sunday. It'll probably go something like run, bike, run, bike, run Monday - Friday and swim on Saturdays. the last couple weeks leading up to the tri I'll do some bricks on the bike trainer and treadmill.  I'd like to keep up on some weight training during this time and may skip one of the above to mix in some weight training, but we'll see how it all goes. 
I got a big personal milestone anniversary coming up and will share it very soon.  Also, my youngest daughter will be 8 months old on Thursday, I can't believe it's been that long already. Hopefully she celebrates her 8 month birthday by sleeping through the night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment